Friday, February 10, 2006

Conflicting Opinions in the Church Sign World

Meet Nicole. Nicole has a blog called As My World Turns - A Conservative Mom in her "Right" Mind.

Nicole has recently begun posting some massive lists of "Church Sign Wisdom." Today she posted her forth edition of sign wisdom with a personal update in which she made a comment directed towards me. But before we get to that...let's back track...

You see I visited this site a few days ago and made a comment on one of her post...Church Sign Wisdom Part 3. In this post she listed 125 different church sign "slogans" per se.

These include such nuggets of wisdom as:
264. The wages of sin is death – quit before payday!
283. GOD gives and forgives; men get and forget
300. The cross is God's way of making a plus sign out of a minus
301. The vitamin good for friendship is "B1"
309. When the trumpet sounds we’re outta here!
352. At the heart of sin is the letter "I"
372. Heavenly Forecast: Reign forever!

If this touch you heart...Nicole's blog is for you.

But you see I thought this was all a little crazy so I posted a little comment on this blog saying...

Do you think putting a witty phrase on a sign does anyone any good...does this
encourage us to live our lives differently...or do they just make Christian
laugh and turn non-believers away from experiencing authentic relationships and
truth from people?

Nicole did not appreciate this comment. How do I know...well, as I mentioned, she directed some comments toward me in her forth sign wisdom post.

Nicole says in the post (along with church sign 376-475)...
Ok, so I'm putting up another set of church signs. And seriously, person who
disparages the signs by saying drivel like Do you think putting a witty phrase
on a sign does anyone any good...does this encourage us to live our lives
differently...or do they just make Christian laught and turn non-believers away
from experiencing authentic relationships and truth from people? you know who
you are...does it really matter in the scope of things? You don't like them,
don't read them. Others enjoy them as I do. They are wise, catchy little sayings
that anyone who cared to could take to heart and learn from them. It's not a
topic for discussion b/c this is my blog and I will continue to post them b/c I
enjoy them and I like the sayings. If you think they're lame like you stated
previously, you don't have to come back and keep reading them, but if you do
read them, I don't want to hear anything from you how you don't like them b/c it
was your choice to read them in the first place. SIGH.

Perhaps Nicole doesn't really care about people comments on her blog unless they stroke her ego and tell her how wonderful she is? Hum, kind of seems like a not very productive forum for discussion at all...my comment was really not so harsh.

3 comments:

ann said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I saw a hilarious church sign a few weeks ago, but I don't have a pic. It said, "The Bible-- believe it or be wrong." Holy cow, talk about abrasive!

Sher said...

To understand more about who this person is, you must visit her other blog, the one on prophecy. It will shed A LOT of light into how she thinks/acts/believes. Coming from a person who has been to seminary, is in the ministry, and ha run into people who come from ALL kinds of different areas of beliefs, from reading her blogger profile and excerpts from her blog, I can understand a little better how she thinks. I think she comes from the same church that those dudes that stand on the corners of downtown FW. You know the ones with the HELL tracks and the little sound system they preach from? They preach condemnation, damnation, and the end. I preach Jesus, forgiveness, and grace. I think the difference lies in how you view God.

Kimberly Ann said...

good point, Sheri. clearly this woman has a limited understanding of who God is.