Friday, April 14, 2006

Rowling's Rant

Heard something on the news from Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and wanted to find it for myself on her official site (Jkrowling.com). I heard one of my friends talk about Rowling's site before...and man, she was right...it's absolutly fun and bizarre. So after 10 minutes of searching I found her rant "for girls only, probably..." where she criticizes the over emphasis of female thinness and her support for the song Stupid Girls by Pink.

After she makes fun of celebrity girls with small dogs in oversize purses Rowling says "I've got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me because I don't want them to become empty headed, self obsessed emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, idealistic, kind, opinionated, funny -- a thousand other things, before 'thin.' And frankly I'd rather they didn't give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do."

Related Tags: , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Toby said...

I've only heard the hype about Pink's song, but I find nothing to complain about JK's "rant." It seems down to earth and realisitic. A mom who went from "rags" to riches who still has a head on her shoulders is hardly something to "tabloid" about.

There are other much stranger moms out there, Madonna and Britney to name two. A third is Katy Holmes, what a weirdo want to be.

There are also positives in the fame and fortune world. Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, even after the "scandolusa" are raising some well adjusted kids. At least they're out of the lime light. Robin Williams and his wife, what's her name, the same, kids who are living a life of luxury and at the same time keeping it real.

Our media eats up the negative, "if it bleeds, it leads."

RC said...

What are the OWL's? Help me out?