Wednesday, August 16, 2006

11 Thoughts after watching Soderbergh's film Bubble

  1. I'm not sure that releasing Bubble in the three major movie mediums (Television, DVD, and Theater Release) was incredibly advantageous, except for the fact that maybe it gave Soderbergh's film free press and opened a dialogue about releasing films differently.
  2. The film is highly enjoyable, it's pretty independent film feeling, it had the same feel to me in many ways as last years film Junebug.
  3. I enjoyed the movie, and at the same time couldn't help but wonder if only the most talented directors, like a Steven Soderbergh would be able to pull off a film like Bubble (a super-low-budget-film, shot in only 3 weeks, with a completly unknown and untrained cast).
  4. Props to Soderberg for his low-budget effort. It's like a well made youtube video, which somehow is attractive in a market of very large scale, large budget movies.
  5. I think it's kind of fun that the characters improvised many of their lines, and it makes you wonder if these people could ever act in other projects.
  6. The three leads did excellent jobs, especially Debbie Doebereiner, a retired KFC employee, who in this film plays an odd, lonely, doll factory employee. I'd like to see a director give her a shot at another film.
  7. I think it's kind of funny that director/producer Steven Soderberg also was the cinemotographer (under the name Peter Andrews) and editor (under the name Mary Ann Bernard).
  8. I'd like to see more big time directors attempt projects like this.
  9. I used to love when on Mr. Rogers that would show clips of how crayons, straws, and other random things were created...it was very interesting to see how dolls were made.
  10. I think Mark Cuban and Todd Wagner are certainly influential people in the movie world as they try new projects like this out of their different companies, Magnolia Pictures, 2727 Entertainment, HDNet, and Landmark Theaters)
  11. In my mind, this film is the first successful film to mimic the production style of The Blair Witch Project , although the tone and style were very different.

Previous Bubble Post.

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


4 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

You know what would have been equally radical for Soderbergh?

To bother releasing the movie overseas.

Alas...

Paula said...

Sounds like a good movie. I love the YouTube comparison! Hah!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the movie as well. I live in a city where the local arthouse theater got the movie despite it being released on DVD. They were fairly successful with it and it seemed like we were watching a locally-made film. I loved Debbie Doebereiner in it!

Wasp Jerky said...

12. Dolls are creepy.