Friday, August 25, 2006

Update: Vomit Inducing Summer Movies

On May 2nd I posted my list of Vomit Inducing Summer Movies. The last of those films, Beerfest is released in theaters today.

True Confession:
Of the 17 films on the list, I saw 2 of the films. Both at the invitation of others. In both cases I enjoyed the films. Those two films were... Wordplay& Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

Not Even a 2006 Film:
No one had a chance to see The Reaping, although I caught the trailer a few times, this Hillary Swank film about the plagues has had multiple release date changes and is now coming out March 2007.

The Box Office Speaks:
Currently The Break-up & Talladega Nights are the highest grossing films of the 17 on the list. Poseidon with it's $160 million dollar production budget only gross $60 million.

The Tomatoes Speak:
The 16 movies (The list of 17 minus The Reaping) in order of freshness rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

95% fresh: Wordplay (read note above...saw it and loved it)
72% fresh: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
70% fresh: Brothers of the Head
68% fresh: Snakes on a Plane
49% fresh: Beerfest
36% fresh: The Lake House
36% fresh: The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift
33% fresh: The Break-up
31% fresh: Poseidon
27% fresh: The Omen
21% fresh: You, Me, and Dupree
15% fresh: Pulse
14% fresh: Little Man
11% fresh: Garfield's A Tale of Two Kitties
7% fresh: Material Girls
6% fresh: See No Evil

I guess I lucked out by seeing the two highest rated films off my list...the one film I really missed by not including on the list was Zoom staring Tim Allen and Courtney Cox which received a 0% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

StrangeCulture stories relating to the 17 movies on the list:
Tallagega Nights: John C. Reilly Choosing Comedy
Wordplay: Square Fillers: War vs. Play
Wordplay: Ellen Ripstein Responds on StrangeCulture
The Reaping: Biblical Horror
4 movies in the same weekend: Stink-fest Movie Weekend

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 comments:

Unknown said...

With the way things are going with The Reaping, I'd be willing to bet that it soon becomes a "straight to videa/dvd" release. What in the world was Hilary Swank thinking?

walypala said...

Look, a horse holding a cat!!!

Why the long face, Jennifer?

Aaaaaanyways, I am still holding a glimmer of hope for Beerfest because it stars Cloris Leachman.

I'll watch anything with young Cloris, but this has Cloris AND a sausage!!!

Cowtown Pattie said...

A friend of mine went to see "Little Miss Sunshine" this week and loved it. Think I'll try to talk the Kman into it...

And I am looking forward to "Wicker Man".

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I only saw ONE of the top 16 listed, Garfield:A Tale Of Two Kitties, and that's only because I have more kids than the old lady who lived in a shoe. As a parent, it's required to see every crappy kid movie thats released.

Now then, does this make me better than you in my cinematic tastes? Yes. Yes, it does.

Um Naief said...

I've seen a few on your list. "You, Me & Dupree" was pretty good... not a fav but ok. I also Saw "The Break Up" and I liked it. I know lots who didn't but I thought it was a good look at real life and the way relationships truly are or can be.

I want to see "The Lake House" and "Little Man". The others... I'm really not interested in.

Carlos Reyes said...

well, my guilty please of the year is "ACCEPTED" I loved it!

worst film out of your list: POSEIDON, that movie sucks!

Camera Obscura said...

I confess I will probably rent Lake House when in comes to the store. I imagine Hubs feels the same way about SOAP. We're skipping the rest, thankyouverymuch.

Cowtown Pattie, there's much brouhaha amongst the fans of the original Wicker Man over the remake, but I guess that probably holds true for any remake.

Terence Towles Canote said...

I have to admit that I am one of those people who was looking forward to Snakes on a Plane. It reminded me of those goofy Seventies movies. Having seen it, I can actually say it is a good, fun movie. As to the rest of the list, I haven't any desire to see any of the films on it except Wordplay (I've heard good things and I do enjoy crossword puzzles).

billie said...

what- 'step up' didn't make the list? talk about a stinky movie. whew!

Belladonna said...

I saw Lakehouse in the theater and actually enjoyed it, even though the premise did not make much sense. But then, I could watch Keano Reeves read a telephone book and be thoroughly entertained...