Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Dreamgirls: "You're going to Love Me"

Watching Dreamgirls on opening Day in a large theater with tons of people was certainly the ideal enviornment, when Effie White (Jennifer Hudson) begins to below out deep soulful tones the audience clapped, and when Curtis Taylor Jr. (Jamie Foxx) begins pushing people around the crowd jeered at him.


One of the great things director Bill Condon has tapped into with this film (and with Chicago) is that inorder to avoid akward moments of seeing a stage musical on screen, is he makes each song into multiple scenes with multiple costumes, hairstyles, and unique camera shots to keep a constant level of energy through out the film musical.

When you walk away from the film, the only thing you can think of is how amazing Jennifer Hudson does in this film, former American Idol finalist deserves all the accolades she may receive as a result of her portrayl of Effie White. America may feel very silly now that they voted on Fantasia as season three's American Idol winner.

Leaving the theater all I was left wanting was Jennifer Hudson reprise of "And I'm Telling You I'm not Going." I just wanted to hear her bellow out the lines "And you, and you, and you, you're going to love me."

I think thematicly Dreamgirls makes a fun stab at the conflicting roles of selfishness, as every character seems to reveal their selfish desires, amidst the backdrop of songs like "Family" where they pretend that they are acting on behalf of eachother.

Hudson is obviously the standout performance, but the rest of the cast is very strong Beyonce, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Danny Glover. Keith Robinson, as Effie's brother C.C. White is potentially the weakest character. There are just many times when he is somewhat cheesy, and yet it's hard to tell if it's Robinson's portrayl of the character, or the way the character is written.

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 comments:

Emma said...

Hmm... I'm still not sure about this movie, but we'll see. :p

Craig Hickman said...

Loved this film. Absolutely loved it. Will definitely see it again and again.

But American Idol belonged to Fantasia that year, no two ways about it.

Anonymous said...

I loved it!

jasdye said...

i've really been surprised by how good some of the american idol kids can become.

it sounds like that song is a total creepy stalker song, but then again, so was 'every breath you take.'

Southern (in)Sanity said...

I've heard mixed reviews on this film, but based on yours, I think I'll give it a chance.

Frank Partisan said...

Good review. I can't wait to see it.

Attila the Mom said...

I am so looking forward to seeing this. Especially after reading your review.

Wishing you the best for 2007!

Anonymous said...

I have not seen the film yet, but I was lucky enough to be working in the entertainment press in Boston on the night that "Dreamgirls" opened for out-of-town tryouts. So I got to see/hear Jennifer Holliday sing that amazing song live for the first time! So many years later, I still remember the power of that performance.

Criticlasm said...

I love Anika Noni Rose in this movie. Great characterization, great voice, and the only real expression of grief that I felt from anyone but Loretta Devine. One of my favorite perfs all year, and though I would see it agian, I'm tempted to go mostly to see more of her.

Craig Hickman said...

Anika Noni Rose was fabulous, but Effie also grieved, as did Beyonce.

I happened to like Keith Robinson alot, especially the second time around.