Sunday, December 10, 2006

Initial Postviewing Blood Diamond Thoughts

I very much enjoyed the Blood Diamond.

I typically enjoy recent films about different social-historical events in Africa (Tsotsi, Hotel Rwanda, No Man's Land).

I think films about Africa are important. The developed world is interested from a business perspective of cooperating with and working with Asian contries, Latin America, and the Middle East, and so these areas of the world get their fair share of discussion in the marketplace.

But Africa is a hopeless place, that still deserves and needs attention, but because in today's current economic climate there is little money to be made off the general populations of most African countries.

So films about Africa, like the Blood Diamond are important. This film was certainly a message-film, about conflict diamonds, but it also an entertaining action-oriented drama.

Especially after Hounsou won best supporting actor from the National Board of Review and this film was placed on the NBR top 10, it has increased my hopes that this film will receive some award attention. Granted, I do not anticipate as Best Picture nomination, I think many of the cast and crew will get recognized, especially previous award nominees Djimon Hounsou, Cinemotographer Eduardo Serra, editor Steven Rosenblum, and perhaps the Sound or Special Effects crew.

Leonardo DiCaprio did a good job playing a diamond smuggling African, and although he will receive more accolades for his role in The Departed, this film will only help keep him in the spotlight a little more this season.

This film is important and interesting and I appreciate this film about African Blood Diamonds and Sierra Leon being made.

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

jasdye said...

and here i thought you were gonna actually talk about the movie and a little less about the awards.

Sher said...

Really? You liked this? We discussed this at life group Sunday night. It doesn't look good to me...and Leo's accent sounds terrible! Like a mix between southern and british. It seems to slip back and forth...and that's just my impression from the preview. But...you are the movie buff...so I'll just take your word for it.

Heather said...

I liked it, too. The accent was a little weird, but I have nothing to base an Afrikaans accent on, really. Regardless, I liked the story, and was glad Hollywood didn't take the cheap and easy route through the love story angle.

Craig Hickman said...

I couldn't give this movie a grade higher than a C+ no matter how hard I tried.