Monday, June 18, 2007

Looking to fall: August Rush

As I have become generally uninterested in the summer blockbusters, I have begun to increasingly look forward to fewer trilogies, and more original work in the fall.

One of the movies I have just recently begun to look forward to is August Rush directed by Kristen Sheridan (an Oscar nominee alongside her father and sister for their screenplay, In America). The film brings together the writing team who wrote the fantastically enjoyable Hook (Nick Castle andJames V. Hart). And has a fun cast: Freddie Highmore, Keri Russell, Robin Williams, Terrence Howard, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and the sure-to-be-precious Jamia Simone Nash.
The story looks like the ushy-gushy stuff that makes films like Mr. Holland's Opus and Simon Birch magical and moving. It has the real life serious drama and trauma as two musicians Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers get pregnant, yet cannot (for some reason) commit to raising the child. Yet as the child gets older, through music he tries to find his parents, who are looking for him.

4 comments:

Will said...

Boy, that looks fantastic.
Thanks for the post!

Lorna said...

For some reason, my last two comments didn't get held by Blogger---lost wisdom.

I've seen bits about this picture in various places and am looking forward to it too, although I'm sometimes just not in the right frame of mind for the uplifting.

Paula said...

The cowboy-type in the picture looks so much like a dead friend of mine that I almost can't look at it. Guess I'll have to see the movie!

Dad said...

I LOVED this movie. Of course I interpreted it as an expression of our need to reconnect with our creator because of an unspeakable impression built in to our soul. And I like how it kind of explores the spiritual nature of music. I didn't really like Robin Williams as his character. He did it well enough, but he has too much baggage. I just kept singing Aladdin songs in my head.
Still, the movie resonated with me in a way few movies have.