Thursday, July 05, 2007

Rat Makes Me Only Like Bird More & More

If I were to make a list of favorite modern directors, after seeing Ratatouille this past week, Brad Bird's name would certainly make the list.

Debatably my favorite animated film from this past decade is the Iron Giant (I wrote about it's themes of Good and Evil last September). In the Iron Giant, the messages, themes, story-line is incredible, and while the animation is weak and limited under the smaller Warner Bros. animation studio.

Now with the backing of Pixar, Brad Bird has brought us two more entertaining, but morally and psychologically complex stories, first The Incredibles, and now Ratatouille.

Watching Ratatouille was pure enjoyment, the story itself modernized the rags to riches themes you might read in a Horatio Alger dime novel. In an era of corporation scandal, dishonesty for personal/corporate gain, and commercialization, Rataouille creates a refreshing picture of a dream that could be.

Brad Bird has re-invented Pinocchio's Jiminy Cricket in the form of an apparition of a dead chef and yet the presentation is so fresh.

I am excited to see what Brad Bird continues to do as a writer and a director, and if Ratatouille became the 2nd animated film to be nominated for best picture (the first being Beauty and the Beast) than that would be fine with me.


Related Tags: , , , , ,

7 comments:

Terence Towles Canote said...

I didn't get to see Ratatouille yesterday as I planned, but it is good to hear it will be worth it. Brad Bird is already one of my favourite directors after The Iron Giant and The Incredibles, both of which rank among my favourite movies.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. This was a fantastic and fun film. I had a great time seeing it and the smile plastered on my face after the fact was enough to keep me happy for the next two days.

Anonymous said...

Obviously I need to see this movie so I too, can smile for two days!

kat said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this myself. And, I agree, based on "The Iron Giant" and "The Incredibles" Brad Bird is a very talented director.

raymond said...

Is it even possible for an animated film to get nominated for Best Picture now that they have the separate animation category?

I still need to see this movie...

Jamie Dawn said...

I've heard such good things about this movie.
My daughter and I discussed it, and she has heard good things too.
Now, you are joining in the praise of this movie.
We will most certainly see this film!

Lorna said...

Iron giant was wonderful! I obviously need to see Ratatouille, but I can't make anything with that much garlic....